Day 30: Work to Live

Four weeks completed within my internship, and I can honestly say I love it so much. FIE did a fantastic job pairing me up with a company that suits me perfectly. With hopes to work with marketing in the entertainment industry, I’m confident that I made the right choice. This summer, I’ve been interning with a company called Secret Cinema. With background in short film music festivals, film production, and theatrical events, this company creates an experience for individuals like no other. Specifically, this summer, the company is putting on its seasonal event based on the film Dirty Dancing where the audience members purchase tickets to come enjoy a film screening where it comes to life. Actors are hired to make the audience feel like they are apart of the film, and the participants dress up in costume. There’s food, dancing, and so much fun – being able to take part of the event planning and marketing for this company is a dream come true.
A month into the internship, and I already notice specific habits that differ British and American work life. One example in particular, relays directly to time and how one manages their workload in a professional environment. At Secret Cinema, everyone is extremely relaxed and easy going, taking countless breaks for tea, cigarettes, meals, and socializing. This took me by surprise on my first day because I have always managed my time in the states, striving to finish work as productively as possible. British culture values their time in a “work to live” fashion,and American culture values it as “live to work.” Here in the UK, people don’t stress over the limited time or restrictions that are presented in their professional workspace like many do in America. By experiencing this hands on, I’ve noticed that my home culture analyzes work habits of their employees and how to improve to become a better leader or individual. The British lifestyle doesn’t seem to critique these work ethics as harshly as in America, and this is how I’ve noticed why these countries value time and work so much differently. I’m hoping to embody these culture differences and take them back with me to the states to better my own ethics of the “work to live” life.

CHEERS!
xoxo
♥︎
Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | Instagram

0 Comments