Day 44: Brick Lane

The moment I landed in Heathrow Airport, I had already noticed how foreign I was to the city of my dreams. Flying solo, making my way through customs, and attempting to get a hold of a SIM card proved how surreal this experience truly is. There are many things that differ the US from the UK. Yes, there are different chocolate candies, and cars drive on the left side of the road, but there’s so much more. The people of England are different than those of the states, for example. British people are much more reserved, like I expected, and keep to themselves before making conversation with a stranger. I noticed this immediately when riding the Tube for the very first time. I also noticed that Brits LOVE their queues. When standing in a queue, or a line, it’s very impolite to cut, or get out of order. It’s also the norm to stand in a queue on the right side of an escalator or hallway, leaving the left side open for those walking.

These differences are still culture changes that I’m learning to adapt to, and there’s so much more I’m learning as I’m immersed in the city. One drastic difference that I see in this country versus our home country is the food. Today, our class took a journey to Brick Lane, East London. We treated ourselves to a Pakistani meal, authentic as can be.


We shared many delicious plates and indulged on something new. Our professor does this every year with his classes, and I felt so thankful to have been able to share this experience with my class. Along the way to the restaurant, we explored the streets of East London and its history with immigration, renovation, and religion. This side of London is home to many people of all cultures, and it's so diverse in many ways.


After today, I have held so many questions I have for America, one of them being: why? Why does our food tend to be so much more specific, yet unhealthier than other countries, such as the UK? Since being here, I’ve noticed how much yummier the food is because it’s all organic, healthy, and fresh. I don’t know how or what we do differently, but UK is on that health grind. Instead of seeing a McDonald’s on every corner, there are on-the-go style cafés with organic, fresh meals made daily, such as Pret-a-Manger. The adjustment while being here has been interesting, but incredibly refreshing. I’m experiencing a whole new world in a positive way, and I love cherishing each moment of my journey. Enjoy our class photo :-) 


CHEERS!
xoxo
♥︎
Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | Instagram


0 Comments